Human hair extensions are beautiful, soft strands slipping through your fingers like silk. You spend a lot of money on extensions to ensure that you get that perfect, gorgeous look always. But if you are noticing any damage of your hair extension for a while, then don’t check just for the hair extensions quality, but also for the daily habits and environmental factors around you.
Might be you are the mortal enemies of hair extensions. So, read on to know about them and develop habits that can keep them at bay!
1. Presence of Pollutants in the Air – Smog, smoke, fumes, and other kinds of air pollutants settle on your hair extensions and form a layer above them. This hampers their appearance and makes them look dull and dusty. Besides damaging the appearance of hair extensions, these air pollutants can dry the extensions. So, if you have any bad habit of smoking or you reside in a highly polluted region, then it is better to cover your extensions with a silk cloth always and avoid smoking.
2. Improper Washing Habits – Both over-washing and under-washing your hair extensions can cause severe damage to them. If you do not wash your extensions properly, then they will look bad, dirty, smell awful, and appear dull and lifeless. On the other hand, if you over-wash the extensions, then this will extract the moisture from them and will make them dry. So, the best way out is to wash your extensions once in a week to maintain their good health and appearance.
3. Using Harsh and Over-drying Products – Your hair stylist must have counseled you to use moisture rich shampoos and conditioners that are paraben and alcohol-free. It is because products with high alcohol content are harsh to the extensions can result in their severe damage. So, make sure you are gentle on your extensions and use sulfate-free and phosphate-free hair extension cleansers. Always check product labels before using them.
4. Trimming or Cutting the Extensions – Cutting or trimming the extensions is a good way to maintain the extensions. But overdoing this practice will leave you with damaged hairs with low length. If you follow this practice regularly, then it is essential to hydrate your hair using essential natural hair oils. This will make sure that your extensions do not get damaged and are free from all sorts of harmful radicals.
5. Inadequate Handling – You must have brought smooth, cuticle-free, and silky hair extensions. But if you fail to handle them properly, they will become frizzy, lack shine, and even lead to more tangles. Therefore, you need to give a gentle touch to your extensions. Use brushes and combs that with wide teeth. Also, use bobby pins, rubber bands, or other hair styling products only when it is utmost necessary, as their use can result in falling of hair extensions.
6. Using Harsh Glues – If you use any harsh glues to stick your extensions to your hair, then this will damage not just the extensions but even the scalp. Using such glues can result in severe damage to the natural hair. It is therefore essential that you use glues that are proven to be safe and secured for the scalp. You can always ask for such products from a hair stylist or an expert. There is a range of such products available, and the experts suggest using only those products for the extension.
7. Using ‘Hot’ Hair Styling Products – Using hair styling iron, rollers, dryers, and other similar products can damage the extensions and make them frizzy. Such products have very high temperature, and instead of drying the extensions, they end up damaging them. Also, it is possible that they may result in bonding of synthetic glue to the natural hairs, which will worsen the situation. So, avoid using products with high temperature as if hair wigs get severely damaged, then it will be difficult to rejuvenate them.
8. Following an Unhealthy Diet – Diet to plays a pivotal role in managing your hair extensions. If you consume too much of oily food rich in fatty acids, then this will make your hair brittle and would leave it weak. Individuals using hair wigs are suggested to consume a diet rich in Omega-3, which is one of the important nutrients for the hair. Additionally, you may use a non-oily conditioner every day to keep your extensions hydrated.
9. Mold Growth – Just like a proper cleansing of hair extensions, the process of properly drying them is also of utmost importance. If you use or store improperly dried hair wigs, then this will leave them wet and result in high moisture content. In such case, molds grow on the surface of extensions. These molds are bacterial and fungal organisms, which are harmful not just for the extensions, but even for your head. So, make sure that your extensions dry properly, especially from the interior sections. If roots or weft are left wet, then this will lead to the high growth of mold.